Saturday, October 1, 2016

Done With the ACT???

Hi there and happy October 1st! In honor of the SAT this morning I thought I'd  confirm the rumors: Spetember's ACT marked my completion of standardized testing (until APs of course)!! A year's worth of studying, two SATs, two SAT subject tests, and two ACTs later and I finally made it to the finish line, and boy does it feel good. I worked so hard and I am also happy to report that it all payed off! Even though I'm super pumped to have finished with this, it's only the beginning as I am 100% focused on college apps now. However, in honor of its completion and the understanding that not everyone else is done, I thought I'd share a few standardized testing tips that I found extremely helpful this past year while they're still fresh. Enjoy!


ONE//Take practice tests!! This is really the only way to do it. I can't even begin to explain how helpful this was, even though it sucked. Between my first SAT and my second, I took over 75 practice sections, and it was definitely worth it. Same thing for the ACT. I hunkered down, and took practice tests until my I thought my brain would explode. Don't kill yourself over these but at the same time, there were more weekends than I care to admit in which I stayed home to take more tests rather than go out with friends. It was worth it though and I can't recommend this enough. 

TWO//Don't study the night before. In my freshman year, my APUSH summed it up about as clearly as anyone could: If you don't know it the night before then you're not going to know it for the test. So at about 6:00 PM two nights before the exam I put away all my studying materials and accept that where I am in that moment will have to be good enough. Then do something fun the night before the test! I'm not saying that you should go party until 2 AM but get your mind off of the test. I went to my football game until half-time, and was then in bed by 10. It kept me distracted and my nerves in check until the next morning. 

THREE//Don't study, but do get your stuff together the night before. The night before my test I always pack my things in my bag, and write a checklist to be filled out the morning of. This usually includes my testing ticket, photo ID, calculator, at least three pencils, a pencil sharpener, and extra eraser, two snacks, and a 32 ounce refillable water bottle. The proctor may not allow you to keep the water bottle at your side but I like to drink a lot during breaks, I find that water helps me stay alert and focused. 

FOUR//Get to the bottom of your answers. I understand that not everyone can afford the hefty price tag that often comes with tutors. However, I do recommend asking a teacher or peer if you don't understand something. The most important thing about taking practice tests is learning from your mistakes. When you get a question wrong, try to figure out why so you can avoid making that same mistake on the real exam. If you can't figure out how to get to a certain answer, or simply want to know why your answer was incorrect, put in the work! Google it, ask a teacher/parent/friend, or re-do it until you get there. I promise you won't regret getting to the bottom of what may seem impossible at first.

FIVE//Stay calm. In the grand scheme of things, your score is just a number. It does not have to define you, and remember that in fifteen years, no one will care what you got on the SAT/ACT. Many great schools are also test-optional if you feel that uncomfortable with your score. As long as you work hard and put in the effort, your score will be what it will be, don't focus on it too much. Good luck to all of you who are are still in the vortex of testing, don't worry, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! 

What are your tips for standardized testing? 
xoxo, LC


No comments:

Post a Comment